Facilities Maintenance Technician
The Facilities Maintenance Technician performs maintenance and service tasks to repair BJCTA’s buildings, including bus shelters and bus stops, involving painting, plumbing, graffiti removal, mechanical and carpentry, using small equipment and hand tools. Also, performs a variety of routine cleaning tasks and semi-skilled maintenance repair work on a wide range of projects. This position is subject to random drug testing in accordance with BJCTA’s Drug and Alcohol Program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains all company facilities system-wide, including bus stops and bus shelters.
- Repairs and installs door locks, adjusts or replaces door closures.
- Orders and picks up supplies and replacement parts.
- Places trash into large receptacles; transports trash and waste to disposal area.
- Performs minor electrical repairs, including, but not limited to repairing or replacement of electrical ballasts and light bulbs.
- Sweeps and scrubs using brooms, mops, and power cleaning appliances.
- Ability to adhere to safety rules, regulations, procedures, and precautions.
- Applies cleaning solvents; cleans equipment.
- Moves and arranges office furniture.
- Drives automobile or light truck.
- Makes minor repairs to mechanical equipment and facilities.
- Mixes paint, ingredients, or chemicals, according to specifications.
- Moves or lifts heavy objects.
- Operates cleaning equipment; uses hand or power tools.
- Paints walls or other structural surfaces, as required.
- Uses basic plumbing techniques.
- Uses building materials for routine building maintenance.
- Uses herbicides, fertilizers, pesticides, or related products.
- Uses portable hand spray equipment.
- Maintains a regular and predictable attendance.
- Completes assigned tasks in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Understands and follows safety rules and procedures, relating to common hazards associated with facility maintenance.
- Must be able to work overtime, including weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSEducation: High school diploma or equivalent.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration: Valid Alabama driver’s license and clean driving record.
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of facility maintenance experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Plumbing procedures, including common uses of standard pipes, fittings, values, and bathroom fixtures.
- General carpentry techniques and methods; drywall finishing techniques.
- Building maintenance and repair procedures.
- Basic electrical knowledge of circuits and breakers.
- Operating and maintaining various power tools and hand tools involved in building maintenance and repair.
- Work with minimal supervision, and understands and follows directions as given.
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Follow written and verbal instructions, suggests solutions and diagnoses problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Understands and follows oral and verbal instructions.
- Establishes and maintains a cooperative working relationship with co-workers and supervisors.
Physical Demands: Regularly required to use hands and fingers, and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb, balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception; and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift or move a minimum of 50 pounds. Must be able to climb ladders and work at elevated heights.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires ability to work in all weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.