Lead Customer Care Associate
Job Posting #: 201804120002
Job Position: 162;
Job Category: 06
Timeframe: 4/12/18 – 4/30/18
Under general supervision, provides prompt and courteous customer service assistance through extensive personal contact with the public. Provides route and schedule information, answers inquiries and obtains information for general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties. Receives complaints and recommendations via telephone, email, fax and in person. Sells fare media and maintains accurate reconciliation records for all revenue instruments and cash receipts. Provides other materials and written information to customers. Performs various clerical and office tasks and related work as assigned. Responsible for helping the department manager/supervisor oversee the operations of all Customer Care Associates.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Monitors employee time and exceptions to include breaks, lunch hours, availability, etc.
2. Monitors adherence to BJCTA administrative guidelines to include dress code, cell phone usage, and overall behaviors.
3. Assist with the preparation of employee schedules.
4. Takes escalated calls.
5. Orders supplies for the department.
6. Assist in training efforts as needed.
7. First point of contact for technology issues.
8. Greets public, engages conversation to identify needs, being careful to make an excellent first impression.
9. Responds to customer inquiries on routes, schedules, fares, and other BJCTA services with complete information and recommendations of BJCTA products to meet customers’ needs.
10. Processes and responds to customer complaints and inquiries.
11. Assists customers in understanding BJCTA policies and procedures.
12. Resolves issues by offering solutions.
13. May have to work overtime, weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
14. Operates a cash register; sells bus tokens, tickets, and passes, and other fare media as required.
15. Assists customers with lost items.
16. Receive passenger reservations.
17. Use scheduling software to schedule trips; ability to schedule trips manually, if necessary.
18. Monitor “No Show” trips and cancellations.
19. Determine system capacity to serve trip request(s).
20. Estimate wait and ride times for customer trip(s).
21. Make call backs to customers, if required, to reschedule trip appointment times.
22. Provide support to VIP Dispatcher and ADA Officer, as required.
23. Must be sensitive to the needs, challenges, and abilities of the special needs customers.
24. Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
25. Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
26. Must understand and follow all safety rules.
27. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
28. Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
29. Must attend mandatory meetings, as required
1. Knowledge of the city and the ability to read city maps. General knowledge of public information and public relations techniques.
2. General knowledge of the operation of a multi-line telephone system.
3. Ability to type 40 WPM and use Microsoft Office (MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint) and other standard office equipment.
4. Ability to learn new technology in the performance of essential job duties, as required.
5. Ability to communicate effectively with the public by telephone and in person; projecting a friendly voice while communicating with customers and/or visitor by telephone or in person.
6. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
7. Displays a positive attitude and composure.
8. Wears appropriate clothing and attire consistent with position for a professional appearance that represents BJCTA.
9. Dependable, self-motivated, and professional person.
10. Ability to perform a variety of tasks and the flexibility to change.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
• High School degree, G.E.D. or equivalent.
• Minimum two years’ experience working in customer-oriented environment preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities- Language Skills
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Bi-lingual skills preferred.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Each employee must be physically able to lift at minimum 40 lbs, drive a company vehicle to distribute bus schedules to outlet locations, malls and neighborhood community centers, when needed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work ordinarily performed in a standard office environment, except in those cases which requires distribution of bus schedules and participation in special events.
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment
BJCTA participates in the E-Verify program.