Customer Care Associate
DEPARTMENT: Customer Care
REPORTS TO: Customer Care Supervisor
BARGAINING UNIT: None
PAY GRADE: 3
PAY RANGE: $12.83/hour – $20.36/hour
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
REVISED: June 2021
The Customer Care Associate provides prompt and courteous customer service assistance through extensive personal contact with the public. Provides route and schedule information, answers inquiries and obtains information for general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties. Receives complaints and recommendations via telephone, email, fax and in person. Takes calls and makes reservations for paratransit customers. Sells fare media and maintains accurate reconciliation records for all revenue instruments and cash receipts. Provides other materials and written information to customers. Performs various clerical and office tasks and related work as assigned. May have to work overtime, weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Greets public, engages conversation to identify needs, being careful to make an excellent first impression.
- Responds to customer inquiries on routes, schedules, fares, and other BJCTA services with complete information and recommendations of BJCTA products to meet customers’ needs.
- Answers calls and inquiries, as well as makes reservations for paratransit customers.
- Processes, resolves and responds to customer complaints and inquiries.
- Assists customers in understanding BJCTA policies and procedures.
- Operates a cash register; sells bus passes.
- Assists customers with lost items.
- Uses scheduling software to schedule trips; ability to schedule trips manually, if necessary.
- Monitors “No-Show” trips and cancellations.
- Determines system capacity to serve trip request(s).
- Estimates wait and ride times for customer trip(s).
- Makes call backs to customers, if required, to reschedule trip appointment times.
- Provides support to Paratransit Dispatcher and ADA Officer, as required.
- Work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
- Attends mandatory meetings, as required
- Knowledge of the city and the ability to read city maps.
- General knowledge of the operation of a multi-line telephone system.
- Ability to type 40 WPM and use Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other standard office equipment.
- Ability to learn new technology in the performance of essential job duties, as required.
- Abilityto communicate effectively with the public by telephone and in person; projecting a friendly voice while communicating with customers and/or visitor by telephone or in person.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Displays a positive attitude and composure.
- Dependable, self-motivated, and professional person.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks and the flexibility to change.
- Must be sensitive to the needs, challenges, and abilities of the special needs customers.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Education: High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum of two years of experience working in customer-oriented environment preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Bi-lingual skills preferred.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift at minimum 40 pounds, drive a company vehicle to distribute bus schedules to outlet locations, malls and neighborhood community centers, when needed.
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.