Senior Director of Capital Projects
DEPARTMENT: Capital and Project Delivery
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CLASS: Sr Director
The Birmingham Jefferson County Transit Authority (“BJCTA”) is seeking a highly qualified,executive level technical lead at this time to preside over its capital projects, within scope,budget, and schedule, and ensure that the assets created will be fit for purpose and able to be operated and maintained efficiently for the assets’ life. This position will be titled Senior Director of Capital/Project Delivery. This individual will oversee and ensure the timely, responsible and high‐quality execution of key activities required to advance the BJCTA’s strategic plans through risk assessment and procurement.
The Senior Director of Capital Projects establishes long and short-range transportation system plans for the Transit Authority and is responsible for providing centralized and comprehensive
management of the BJCTA’s Capital Improvement Plan. This position encompasses Capital Planning, Project Delivery, and Transit Asset Management and ensures that Capital resources are fully aligned with and support the BJCTA’s overall strategic goals and objectives. The Office of Capital Planning and Project Delivery is responsible for developing the BJCTA’s long-range CIP
which includes capital asset management, project charters, scope, schedule and budget development, oversight and analysis, program and project performance, and scheduling and estimating. This position will work closely with the Finance and IT departments to provide long range strategies for improving and expanding BJCTA’s business.
- Provide executive oversight of all elements of project delivery.
- Manage the development, refining, and articulation of the program delivery for the BJCTA including project planning, project developing, funding alternatives, and project execution.
- Regularly report to the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors on program status including managing program budget, schedule, and program delivery development and implementation and recommending any appropriate actions to mitigate any issues, problems and/or concerns that may arise with regard to program implementation.
- Oversee the technical needs of BJCTA including managing a department responsible for design review, project controls, change management, quality control, quality assurance and construction management and/or oversight for BJCTA projects, as required.
- Identify delivery methods and parallel/sequential path advancement for projects within the overall program.
- Ensure that the right subject matter experts are hired and leveraged to find improvements to efficiency, budgets, and processes as each project scales up through to final delivery.
- Maintain relationships with the Federal Transit Administration, the City of Birmingham, other funding agencies, local, municipal, county, state and federal regulatory agencies, and partner staff.
- Maintain industry contacts and involvement in national and international infrastructure forums to assure BJCTA is at the forefront of best practices, innovation, and compliance in delivery of projects.
- Provide leadership in creating a work environment that encourages process improvement, communication, participatory decision making and accountability.
- Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or IT or related field
- A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated experience in multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects with specific experience in leading the design and construction of transit authority projects of similar scope and complexity as the capital portion of the BJCTA’s strategic plan.
- Exceptional program management skills.
- A thorough understanding of the technical complexities of major infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated ability to build cohesive multi‐disciplinary teams and manage multiple demanding projects with aggressive timelines and budgets.
- High level analytical and creative skills to find practical solutions to complex and technical problems.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills to explain projects and elements of projects to both technical and non‐technical audiences.
- Demonstrated experience operating and executing in complex, multistakeholder environments.
- Understanding of industry standard project finance, design and construction risk management, project controls, and contracting.
- Ability to establish a vision and create an environment for excellence.
- Demonstrated record of ethics and high standards.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Combined degrees Engineering or IT along with accounting or finance
- 10-15 years of management experience of multi-disciplinary teams
- 10-15 years of experience in project management
- 10-15 years of experience in transit or other regulated industry
The Birmingham Jefferson County Transit Authority is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status or military status, or any other category protected under applicable law. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.