Customer Experience Ambassador
DEPARTMENT: Customer Experience
REPORTS TO: Director of Customer Experience
The Customer Experience Ambassador will support the Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority through various duties including but not limited to greeting and assisting patrons, receiving complaints, monitoring safety conditions, identifying and assisting vulnerable and/or disabled individuals, encouraging courteous behavior, quality monitoring, training, and reporting incidents.
The Customer Experience Ambassador personnel will build relationships with Max Transit customers and employees and offer in-person support to riders that is geared to improving the everyday interactions that transit customers’ experience. May require work overtime, weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Rides MAX Transit Fixed-Route buses, Paratransit buses and Micro transit vehicles at designated times to monitor activities.
- Greets public, engages conversation to identify needs, being careful to make an excellent first impression.
- Interacts/engages with BJCTA personnel, the public, and others to establish an official presence and deter disruptive behavior from occurring within the BJCTA system.
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding routes, schedules, fares, and other BJCTA services with complete information and recommendations of BJCTA products to meet customers’ needs.
- Attend community and stakeholder meetings, including riders’ council
- Encourage riders to be courteous to others and follow the rules and common courtesies to make Max feel safe and comfortable for all riders.
- Handles customer compliments, criticisms, and complaints equally with a calm and pleasant demeanor; attempts to address customer's issues but recognizes when issues need to be elevated to the next level.
- Coordinate directly with BJCTA Operations, System Security and Law Enforcement Departments to report and respond to any incidents or public safety issues
- Identify people experiencing homelessness, mental health crises, and addiction and communicate with the necessary field-based staff including the Max Foundation, BJCTA Security and Law Enforcement.
- Observes and reports any type of suspicious activity and/or behavior to the appropriate personnel, requests assistance as necessary and appropriate.
- Works with management to perform outreach within the community and participate in departmental efforts including informational presentations.
- Provides various routine assistance to BJCTA personnel; fills out forms and writes basic reports; enters data into appropriate computer database or application.
- Assists in training and quality efforts as needed for Customer Experience and Operations.
- Serve as a significant, easily identifiable field-based presence.
- Performs other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
- Attends mandatory meetings, as required
Must be physically able to lift at minimum 40 pounds, drive a company vehicle to distribute bus schedules to outlet locations, malls and neighborhood community centers, when needed.
1.Knowledge of the city and the ability to read city maps. General knowledge of public information and public relations techniques.
2.General knowledge of the operation of a multi-line telephone system.
3.Ability to type 40 WPM and use Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other standard office equipment.
4.Ability to learn new technology in the performance of essential job duties, as required.
5.Ability to communicate effectively with the public by telephone and in person; projecting a friendly voice while communicating with customers and/or visitor by telephone or in person.
6.Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
7.Displays a positive attitude and composure.
8.Wears appropriate clothing and attire consistent with position for a professional appearance that represents BJCTA.
9.Dependable, self-motivated, and professional person.
10.Ability to perform a variety of tasks and the flexibility to change.
Education: High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent.
Experience:Two years of experience working in a customer-oriented environment preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Ability and Skill to: read and write English; accept responsibility and work with a team; follow written and oral directions; think and act quickly in emergencies; write accurate and clear reports of incidents; deal courteously, effectively and tactfully with the general public and others; work under pressure; learn to operate phones, radio and computers; listen; stand, sit, or walk while providing in person customer service continuously for long periods of time; approach members of the public who appear to need assistance and ask questions to understand their needs; respect the right of privacy and maintain confidentiality of customers; and be attentive to and accurately record details of interactions and referrals;
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.