Part Time Bus Operator – Fixed Route
Job Title: PART TIME Bus Operator - Fixed Route
Reports to: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Hourly (Contract)
Safety Sensitive: Yes
A Bus Operator/Fixed Route Operator is responsible for providing safe, courteous, and on time transportation to the general public. Under close supervision, operates commercial public transit buses/coaches in the MAX service area. Positions in this job classification are considered safety sensitive and are subject to drug testing, including random drug screens, in accordance with Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Drug and Alcohol regulations.
Shifts – Not to Exceed 32 hours per week
4am – 9am
12pm – 5pm
4pm – 8pm
5pm – 9pm
6pm – 10pm
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Memorizes routes, transfer points, and fare structures for all lines assigned.
2. Performs a complete pre-trip/post-trip inspection of bus.
3. Performs safety checks of equipment.
4. Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
5. Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
6. Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
7. Must understand and follow all safety rules.
8. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
9. Refers to and implements route maps, time schedules, and instructions for pull¬ outs, line service, pull-ins, and off route trips.
10. Provides schedule, route, and fare information to passengers seeking assistance.
11. Operates wheelchair lifts and assists handicapped in boarding, riding and alighting in a safe manner.
12. Reports hazardous or dangerous conditions along bus route and at passenger loading zones, including such hazards as unusual traffic, road conditions, obstructions, construction, and potential criminal activity.
13. Writes reports and completes forms, including, but not limited to accident, incident, and motor coach discrepancies, run sheets, and passenger counts.
14. Adheres to safety rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to ensure the wellbeing of MAX customers, employees, and business partners.
15. Responsible for maintaining, supporting and promoting a safe work environment while complying with all MAX safety rules, polices, and procedures.
16. May be required to mentor new coach operators about bus routes and operating procedures.
17. Provides assistance in controlling accident or incident scenes.
18. Provides vacation and temporary relief, as required.
19. Comply with Federal ADA regulations to include calling out stops, securing mobility devices.
20. Attend employee meetings; including safety, training, retraining, etc., as required.
21. Inspects bus for lost articles.
22. Removes refuse, and prepares bus for pull-out.
23. Contacts Dispatcher with all problems.
24. Performs other related duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
25. Must attend mandatory meetings, as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Must pass pre-¬employment physical, including DOT medical card and DOT Drug Screen.
2. No more than one (1) moving violations within the last 36 months and no convictions of driving under the influence of any prohibited substance.
3. No convictions of driving while suspended or revoked.
4. Must have good attendance and work performance record as verified by reference check prior to offer of employment.
5. Must be available for varying shifts. Shifts assigned based on seniority.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
Must have a valid Alabama Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A or B and with a passenger and airbrake endorsement. Must have new Alabama learner’s permit if have only taken the written CDL test. Good driving record with no more than one (1) moving violations with the last thirty-six (36) months and have no felony convictions on criminal record.
Education / Experience
High school or equivalent with at least two (2) years driving a commercial vehicle or five (5) years experience driving a non-commercial vehicle with restrictions.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
1. Ability to read a map.
2. Must be at least 21 years of age and have at least six-month fulltime public contact or customer service experience.
3. Knowledge of State and local traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations involved in the operation of vehicles; vehicle safety rules and regulation.
4. Knowledge of basic money and time concepts.
5. Ability to read, write and speak Basic English.
6. Ability to safely operate MAX vehicles and equipment efficiently.
7. Ability to communicate courteously and effectively.
8. Ability to judge which of several objects is closer or farther from you, or to judge the distance between you and an object.
9. Ability to see details at close range (a few feet) and far range.
10. Ability to quickly respond (with hand, finger, or foot) to a sight (sound, light, picture) when it appears.
11. Ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
12. Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. Does not include solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
13. Ability to choose quickly between two or more movements for response to two or more different signals (lights, sounds, pictures). It includes the speed with which the correct response is started with the hand, foot, or other body part.
14. Ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
15. Knowledge of relevant equipment, polices, procedures and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property, etc.
16. Knowledge of local and Federal laws and regulations governing travel on roads and streets for public vehicles.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feet reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Position requires ability to lift, push, pull, assist and secure wheelchair passengers and a minimum of 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to work in seasonal weather (cold and hot climates).
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment