Job Posting #: 201502090001;
Job Position: 086;
Date Open: 3/15/18 – 4/16/18
Work involves performing manual tasks in the care and cleaning of buildings. Work involves specific, routine operations and/or application of approved standards that include a few separate tasks. An employee in this classification receives specific assignments; the employee works as instructed and consults with the supervisor as needed on all matters not specifically covered in the original instructions. Work assignments are routine and normally reviewed for completeness and accuracy, or involve tasks that provide inherent checks built into the nature of the work. Changes in assignments are received orally or in writing. Work is reviewed through reports, observation, and results obtained
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Cleans rooms which includes but is not limited to cleaning furniture, floors, and equipment with cleaning solutions and disinfectants; cleans bathrooms; replenishes soap, tissues, and towels.
2. Sweeps, mops, waxes, and buffs floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets; dusts and cleans windows, walls, hallways, elevators, stairs, closets, shelves, storage or other designated areas.
3. Empties waste containers and replaces liners; cleans ash trays and urns. Sweeps and cleans parking areas; cleans outside windows and iron railings; replaces light bulbs.
4. Performs custodial duties as needed.
5. Utilizes the following tools in the performance of duties: broom and dust pan, buffer, carpet cleaner, dust clothes, mop, shampooer, and pressure washer
6. May drive an automobile to pick-up or deliver supplies
7. Must conduct him/herself in a professional, respectful and courteous manner at all times with customers, vendors, and their co-workers.
8. Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
9. Ability to compete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
10. Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
11. Must understand and follow safety rules.
12. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
13. Perform other duties similar in nature and level as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to pass pre-employment background check, including physical, alcohol and drug screen.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
No license required.
At least one (1) year custodial experience.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of cleaning methods and materials.
2. Ability to understand and follow simple oral or written directions.
3. Ability to exercise care in the use of cleaning material.
4. Ability to read and write in English.
5. Ability to perform heavy lifting and routine manual cleaning task.
6. Ability to drive an automobile.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Work requires frequent physical effort, such as sitting, standing, walking, and/or light lifting and carrying objects of moderate weight of 16 to 49 pounds for short durations; occasionally lifts and carries heavy objects of 50 pounds or over.
Work is performed in and around an office and/or in and around buildings or other facilities. Work exposes employee to chemical hazards and noxious fumes when using cleaning compounds and physical hazards such as slipping and falling on wet floors. Work also exposes employee to sharp hand tools, mechanical power tools, solvents, grease, oils, dust and pollen.
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment