DEPARTMENT: Vehicle Maintenance
REPORTS TO: Facilities Supervisor
The Building Custodian performs a variety of manual tasks in the care and cleaning of buildings. The Building Custodian will be responsible for work that involves specific and routine operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Building Custodian focuses on building upkeep and requires detail and diligence in custodial maintenance.
- Cleans rooms which include but are not limited to cleaning furniture, floors, and equipment with cleaning solutions and disinfectants; cleans bathrooms; replenishes soap, tissues, and towels.
- Sweeps, mops, waxes, and buffs floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets.
- Dust and cleans windows, walls, hallways, elevators, stairs, closets, shelves, storage, or other designated areas.
- Empties waste containers and replaces liners. Sweeps and cleans parking areas; clean outside windows and iron railings; replace light bulbs.
- Performs custodial duties as needed.
- Utilizes the following tools in the performance of duties: broom and dustpan, buffer, carpet cleaner, dust cloths, mop, shampooer, and pressure washer.
- May drive an automobile to pick up or deliver supplies.
- Must conduct him/herself in a professional, respectful, and courteous manner always with customers, vendors, and their co-workers.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
- Must understand and follow safety rules.
- Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Perform other duties similar in nature and level as required.
- Monitor and reports security issues to the proper authority.
- Provides needed services to staff at administrative offices i.e., room set up/Stocking Break Room.
Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check, including physical, alcohol, and drug screen.
Experience: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: One year of custodial experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor, or in a similar role
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Very good physical condition and strength
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.