Fleet Maintenance Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Manager of Maintenance
FLSA STATUS: Non Exempt/Administrative Hourly
Under general supervision responsible for the fleet maintenance personnel (mechanics, general services, etc.) in the maintenance and repair of the BJCTA’s fleet; including diesel and compressed natural gas vehicles. Applicant must be able to work varying shifts, including nights and weekends.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work.
- Processes work orders, defect slips, route sheets, fuel reports, employee request forms, mechanic paperwork and other related information.
- Schedules and prioritizes vehicle maintenance and repair activities; schedules backlog work based on severity.
- Develops and implements maintenance standards and repair activities; monitors work for quality.
- Monitors and recommends campaigns to improve the safety and operation of transit vehicles.
- Ability to diagnose, analyze and recommend solutions for safe and continuous operations of the fleet.
- Ability to prepare detailed and complex reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate accident situations and recommend improved operational procedures and methods.
- Ability to read a map and navigate the metropolitan Birmingham network.
- Performs on-the-job instruction and training in new repair techniques and the proper use of specialized tools or equipment.
- Provides technical assistance as needed.
- Assigns road calls.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
- Must understand and follow all safety rules.
- Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Perform other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
- Must attend mandatory meetings, as required.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, ability to compute rates and percents and the ability to draw and interpret bar graphs from data.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
Current commercial drivers’ license, Class A or B with Passenger and Air Brake endorsements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. Position requires frequent lifting, reaching, climbing, pulling, stooping and kneeling.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job including subjection to moving mechanical parts, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, work space restrictions, intense noises, and travel. Position requires working in seasonal weather both indoors and outdoors.
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
Candidates supervise the vehicle maintenance and mechanical repair activities on all BJCTA owned vehicles and equipment. Supervision over bargaining unit technicians, members of Local #725, and administrative shop cleaner.
Duties include prioritizing and assigning work, guiding and motivating employees, conducting performance evaluations. Interpret rules, policies and union contract, resolve work related problems, and oversee work orders/requisitions for parts, materials, components, equipment, fuel and lubricants for the repair and maintenance of BJCTA owned vehicles. Investigate vehicular and injury accident/incidents, implement employee training program, monitor day-to-day operations. Department staff 7 days a week with day/night/and swing shifts schedules.
Supervision – 30% (skilled and semi-skilled workers)
Allocation of work – 30%
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment.