The Budget Projects Analyst coordinates with the Chief Financial Officer, the Accounting Manager and Senior Accountant in preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets. They also aid in monitoring and comparing the budget with actual results and helps recommend corrective actions to achieve budget compliance. They will coordinate and assist departments with budget preparation and help department managers interpret budget variances and implement corrective actions.
They assist with special projects that promote organizational advancements with an aim to improve operating efficiencies, enhance internal controls and improve financial and operational reporting methodologies. They may also assist with accounting matters, periodic audits and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist with preparing the annual operating and capital budgets and coordinating efforts to produce more budget preparation efficiencies.
- Assist with ensuring the annual budget is congruent with the organization’s strategic plan and ensuring the budget helps achieve strategic plan results.
- Assist division managers in developing departmental budgets and ensuring coordination between departmental budgets and the organization’s immediate and long-term goals.
- Assist in preparing budget to actual comparisons, researching and interpreting budget variances and recommending and assisting with implementing corrective action.
- Assist with determining the metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs) that impact and promote operating efficiencies and effectiveness and determining actions that will improve those metrices and KPIs.
- Assisting with preparing business and operating for review by the CFO.
- Assisting with training various levels of personnel within the guidance and authority of appropriate budget methodologies, accounting methods and procedures.
- Assisting with revising, developing, and submitting suggestions for changes to policies and procedures that will benefit the organization with compliance and efficiency issues.
- Acting as liaison with division managers to ensure actual results impacting the general ledger and budget are correct and have adequate documentation.
- Assist with performing variance analysis during Financial Statement preparation and aiding the CFO with variance analysis for meetings with Senior Management.
- Responsible for daily activities and work product integrity of accounting and budget monitoring.
- Assist with developing and enforcing fiscal control and reporting policies, procedures, practices, and forms.
- Demonstrate high standards of business ethics, accuracy, precision, and knowledge (or aptitude to learn) Government Accounting, GAAP, regulations related to Federal Transit Administration (FTA), TDA, IRS, and other reporting requirements.
- Assist with preparing and submitting required reports for the FTA, the IRS, and the OMB.
Supervision: Assist with supervising the budget process and some personnel associated with budget
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
Experience: Four or more progressive years of experience business or in a related field.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration: Master’s Degree and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of general business, accounting principles, practices and procedures, budget preparation and compliance, data processing capabilities including computer networks; regulatory agency reporting requirements; modern office procedures. Skilled in use and application of personal computers and software including all Microsoft office or equivalent software and the use of modern office equipment. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written; prepare business reports; develop and maintain documentation of different accounting cycles; handle multiple tasks. Must demonstrate creativity and independent judgement, initiative, and work success.
BJCTA is a Drug-Free/Smoke-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday, and as required in certain instances.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Birmingham, AL 35203: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required).
- Business: 4 years (Preferred)
- Finance, Accounting or related field: 4 years (Preferred)
- Supervisory: 3 years (Preferred)
- See above
Work Location: One location