General Service Attendant
Under general supervision, checks levels and dispenses fuels, cleans and services buses. Works shifts include nights and/or weekends.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Fuels the fleet.
2. Checks engine oil and coolant.
3. Records quantities of liquids dispensed into the computer based fleet tracking software.
4. Checks tire pressure of vehicles.
5. Services vehicles, including scrubbing exteriors, mopping bus floors, cleans interiors (walls, seats and windows, spray for insects).
6. Cleans vehicular interiors to include driver's compartment, walls, ceilings, windows, handrails, mirrors, seats, step wells, and floors using appropriate equipment and chemicals.
7. Removes gum, candy and other foreign materials from vehicular interiors.
8. Vacuums and shampoos carpets.
9. Assists in cleaning of work areas; assists in preparing cleaning materials.
10. Reports damage, broken items, and upholstery defects on defect forms.
11. Uses bloodborne pathogens protocols to sanitize exposed vehicular interiors.
12. Responds to in-service vehicular interior cleaning situations via non-revenue.
13. Fuels vehicle.
14. Removes and replaces fare box vaults of buses and dumps contents into safes.
15. Operates fork lifts and powered carts, as required.
16. Maintains written record of bus mileage and cleaning log.
17. Monitors operation of cleaning machines, and stops machines or notifies supervisors when malfunctions occur.
18. Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
19. Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
20. Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
21. Must understand and follow all safety rules.
22. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
23. Performs other similar duties in nature and level as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to pass pre-employment background check, including physical and drug screen.
- Must be able to follow all safety rules and practices.
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must have good attendance and work performance record as verified by reference check prior to offer of employment.
- Must be available for varying shifts. Shifts assigned based on seniority.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
Must have a valid Alabama Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A or B and with a passenger and airbrake endorsement. Must have new Alabama learner’s permit if have only taken the written CDL test. Good driving record with no more than one (1) moving violations with the last thirty-six (36) months. Certified forklift operator or ability to obtain forklift certification.
Education / Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Ability to back buses into marked area, write and understand oral and written instructions in the English language; establish safety practices, uses all required cleaning instruments and can obtain and maintain class “A” or “B” CDL, work unusual hours, days and/or weekends and holidays when required. Safely operate cleaning equipment and hand/power tools; safely operate BJCTA vehicles.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Must be able to work in seasonal weather both indoors and outdoors. The essential functions of this job are performed in both a shop environment and outside in various weather conditions, including exposure to extreme heat and cold. Work is performed around moving vehicles, equipment and machinery with moving parts and under wet and slippery conditions. Incumbents are exposed daily to electrical hazards, toxic and/or caustic chemicals, grease, oil, dust, fumes, smoke, and gases and are intermittently exposed to loud noise and vibrations.
Americans with Disabilities Act:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V:
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment.
EMPLOYEE RECEIPT AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
I Understand and Acknowledge the Following:
- I have received a copy and understand the contents of this job description.
- I am willing and able to meet all job requirements and perform all aspects of the job as discussed in each section above.
- I have had an opportunity to have any questions answered and I understand that if I have any future questions regarding my job duties, position requirements, or the content of this job description, I can make an appointment to discuss questions with my supervisor, manager, or a representative from the human resources department.
- This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
- Temporary modifications to provide reasonable accommodations do not waive any essential functions of the job requirements.
- Job duties and requirements may be updated at any time.
- This job description is not a contract of continued employment