Diesel Technician I
Job Title: Diesel Technician I
Reports to: Manager of Vehicle Maintenance
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/Hourly
Safety Sensitive: Yes
Date Approved: _______________________________
Under general supervision, repair the BJCTA transit fleet; including, but not limited to light, medium and heavy duty vehicles.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Perform Preventive Maintenance Inspections
2. Diagnose, troubleshoot and perform both minor and major repairs on all company vehicles and equipment.
3. Remove and replace all units and rebuilds components.
4. Make service (road) calls.
5. Complete all required documents.
6. Account for all materials used in accordance with work order system.
7. Must be able to safely operate vehicles or maintenance
8. Must be available for any shift; including nights and/or weekends.
9. Ability to work closely with other employees and vendors.
10. Must have complete set of hand tools to perform duties of the position.
11. Work on diesel and gas engines, suspension, brakes, and drive trains.
12. Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
13. Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
14. Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
15. Must understand and follow all safety rules.
16. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
17. Perform other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
18. Must attend mandatory meetings, as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to pass DOT physical and pre-employment drug screen. Available for varying shifts, including nights and weekends.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
Must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A or B and with a passenger and airbrake endorsement. Must have new learner’s permit if have only taken the written CDL test. Prefer candidate with Air Conditioning certification. Good driving record with no more than one (1) moving violations with the last twelve (12) months
Qualified candidate must possess at least four (4) years previous diesel/gas experience and or/technical training.
Additional Skills and/or Experience Required
Ability to read and understand schematics, maintenance manuals and operate test equipment. Must be computer literate and capable of using diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot problems with vehicles.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, ability to compute rates and percent and the ability to draw and interpret bar graphs from data.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use of hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work ordinarily performed in a standard maintenance environment.
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the BJCTA make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all its essential functions.
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment