Announcements, Blog, Front page news, News Releases

MAX Transit, Birmingham On-Demand launch expanded microtransit service

The Birmingham Transit Authority (BJCTA) and Birmingham On-Demand are teaming up to expand microtransit in east Birmingham.

BJCTA’s new service, MAX On-Demand, will begin running in the Kingston, Inglenook and Woodlawn neighborhoods starting May 20. MAX On-Demand offers corner-to-corner rides in multi-passenger vans within the service area for $1.50 one way for the first person and $0.75 for each additional rider.

Passengers can schedule rides through the Birmingham On-Demand app, available in both the App Store for iPhones and the Google Play store on Android phones.

Microtransit is defined as a “technology-enabled service that uses multi-passenger vehicles to provide on-demand services with dynamically generated routing,” by the Federal Transit Administration.

Route 20 will now end at the Woodlawn Transit Center, where riders can catch Route 17 or Route 25 buses, Birmingham Xpress, Birmingham On-Demand or MAX On-Demand.


The MAX On-Demand service area covers rides to places such as:

  • Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
  • Arc of Jefferson County (Georgia Rd)
  • Aww Shucks Restaurant
  • Christ Health Center
  • Church of the Highlands (Woodlawn Campus)
  • Coca-Cola Bottling Company
  • Cornerstone School of Alabama
  • Family Dollar (1st Ave N & 55th St)
  • Hayes K-8 School
  • Holiday Inn (Airport)
  • Inglenook Elementary School
  • Inglenook Library
  • Morrell Todd Homes
  • North Avondale Library
  • Piggly Wiggly-East Lake
  • Ramada Inn (Airport)
  • The Dream Center
  • Tom Brown Village (Avondale)
  • WC Patton Park
  • Woodlawn High School
  • Woodlawn Theatre
  • Woodlawn Transit Center
  • Ventura Foods

This new service is a part of MAX’s 70/30 plan— an initiative by MAX aimed at enhancing transportation services. Under this plan, MAX is adjusting its fixed-route coverage from 100% to 70% and implementing microtransit in the remaining 30%.

“It was necessary to modify Route 20 because we wanted to increase the passenger’s connectivity to our transit centers,” said MAX Active Planning Manager, Brittnee Thomas. “Through this redesign, our customers will have increased connections to routes 17, 25, Birmingham Xpress and Birmingham On-Demand.”

MAX On-Demand aims to improve connectivity by providing multiple transportation options for passengers.

MAX On-Demand provides the convenience of ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft for a fraction of the cost. The service also will decrease wait times for riders.