System Administrator Position
Job Posting #: 201607120001
Job Position: 133
Job Class: IT
Job Category: 03
Open/Close Date: 7/26/2018 – 8/26/2018.
Under the general direction of the Director of IT, Responsible for the planning, design, acquisition, installation, configuration, maintenance and enhancement of system hardware and software and related infrastructure. Ensures maximum up-time of system hardware, operating systems, software applications, and related products and services. Required to understand the capabilities of the organization's equipment and software, and may be asked to provide recommendations regarding selection of new equipment or software packages. Assist BJCTA in realizing the maximum benefit from its investment in equipment, personnel, and business processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Ability to communicate effectively with administration and staff regarding computer problems, software/hardware upgrades and all other aspects of managing information and communication systems.
2. Ability to install, configure and troubleshoot, Microsoft Windows servers, desktop computers, printers, routers, switches, firewalls, Wi-Fi network, phones, personal digital assistants, smartphones, software deployment, security updates and patches.
3. Responsible for designing hardware and software to allow free exchange of data; networking the organization's computer systems to allow users at all locations to retrieve data and information from a mainframe or server and use it on other machines.
4. Perform network modeling, analysis and planning; research related products and make necessary hardware and software recommendations. Focus on the interaction between computer and communications equipment.
5. Recommend, design, implement, and troubleshoot IT system security.
6. Recommend operating policies and procedures for company-wide systems.
Assist IT Director in developing short and long range IT plans.
7. Prepares project-phase plans, schedules and cost estimates as directed.
8. Stay abreast of current IT technology and advancements.
9. Advises management on IT needs.
10. Troubleshoot IT functional deficiencies.
11. Recommends IT hardware, software and data communications purchases.
12. Negotiates contracts with vendors for IT equipment.
13. Ability to determine training needs and provide training. Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
14. Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
15. Must read chemical labels and follow safe handling procedures.
16. Must understand and follow all safety rules.
17. Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
18. Perform other duties similar in nature and level as assigned.
19. Must attend mandatory meetings, as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Experience managing Windows 2008/2012/2016 in a Systems Administrator role.
2. Expert level knowledge in Windows Server, Active Directory, Exchange and SQL Server.
3. Experience in network infrastructure (Wi-Fi, firewalls, routers, switches, etc.).
4. Experience with SAN hardware / storage.
5. Experience with VMware vSphere
6. Working experience with designing and maintaining backup solutions.
7. Experience documenting solutions, processes, procedures and recovery plans.
8. Experience managing projects of a technical nature
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
Education / Experience
BS degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two to five years of experience in system administrative roles.
Physical Demands/Work Environment (optional)
Office environment. Extended use of keyboard, mouse and monitor. High attention to detail and ability to focus. Ability to reach, stoop, and lift up to 50 pounds. Moderate noise level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Considerable knowledge of current industry trends, products, and services in information systems.
2. Processing equipment and software.
3. Outstanding communication and organizational skills are needed.
4. Skill in using graphic presentation, spreadsheet, and word processing and database management computer applications is required.
5. Customer service orientation is mandatory.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, ability to compute rates and percents and the ability to draw and interpret bar graphs from data with or without a calculator.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Americans with Disabilities Act
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have a right to request that the Authority make reasonable accommodations in order to help you accomplish your work, which must still be performed in all essential functions.
EEO - Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
The Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran’s status, disability status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants for this position may be administered a skills and knowledge test.
Receipt by BJCTA of a verified negative drug test result and/or negative breath alcohol test result (<0.02 BAC) is required prior to employment. A verified positive drug and/or alcohol test will disqualify an applicant from employment